Financial Transfer Procedures For Foreign Buyers of Condos

5th October 2019
Home > News > Financial Transfer Procedures For Foreign Buyers of Condos

Under the 1991 Condominium Act, non-residents who purchase condominium units must transfer the funds to pay for the unit from overseas, with the money entering Thailand as foreign currency.


Purchasers need to obtain a “Foreign Exchange Transaction Form”  certificate for each payment from the beneficiary bank, and all these certificates must be shown to the Land Department in order to register the condominium.

When the money is sent to Thailand, the purchaser needs to include in the transfer instructions that the purpose is to buy a condominium unit.


Banks will only give “Foreign Exchange Transaction Form” certificates for amounts over US$ 50,000. For amounts below this, purchasers must obtain a bank certificate from the bank.


If the foreign purchaser has Thai Permanent Residence status, they can purchase the condominium in Thai Baht (no need for a “Foreign Exchange Transaction Form”).


Transferring Money

The money must be sent by a bank Transfer, with a document identifying the name of the purchaser. Alternatively, it is possible for the buyer to ask a third party to transfer the money for him to buy the property by identifying himself as the receiver.


The purchaser has to include in the transfer instructions that the purpose of this money is to buy a condominium unit with the detail of the condominium and unit number.


The bank that receives money in a foreign currency will issue a Foreign Exchange Transaction Form, which contains the following information:


The transferred amount in foreign currency

The transferred amount in Thai Baht

The name of the money sender

The name of the money receiver

The purpose of the transfer


The Land Department will accept the name of the purchaser as either the sender or receiver of the transferred money.


If the money receiver is an individual but wants to put the unit in the names of two people, the sender must instruct the bank to specify the names of the two people together with the purpose of buying a condominium.


The Land Department also can accept the transfer even if the sender’s name and the receiver’s name are not the buyer’s name but the sender should instruct the bank to put the purpose as being “for the purchase of the condominium by (Purchaser’s name)”.


The amount of money must be equal to or higher than the selling price declared to the Land Department.


In order to obtain a Foreign Exchange Transaction Form, the amount of money must be above US$50,000; lesser amounts require the purchaser to obtain a bank certificate from the bank.

Share this article
  • icon
  • icon

Related News Articles

Best Luxury Independent Real Estate Brokerage in Thailand

Winner of Luxury Lifestyle Awards 2022 Dear Team of Supreme Real Estate, It is with great pleasure that we confirm your success and congratulate your achievementin the Luxury Lifestyle Awards 2022. The objective of these awards is to recognize excellence across the whole range of industry sectors and maintain the highest standards in the property industry worldwide.After a...

Thailand’s Property Market Rebounds as Foreign Buyers Return

Welcome to the land of smiles Where Thailand’s property market is bouncing back with a vengeance! After a tumultuous year that left us all wondering about the future, an exciting development has emerged – foreign buyers are flocking back to this enchanting Southeast Asian jewel. From luxurious beachfront villas in Phuket to sleek city apartments in Bangkok, Thailan...

Winner of Thailand’s best real estate agency 2019

Supreme Real Estate is awarded Thailand’s best real estate agency 2019.Supreme Real Estate is no stranger to the Thailand real estate market, opening in 2011.The international team at Supreme Real Estate boasts extensive real estate experience and a deep knowledge of the country’s property market.The company’s hard work was rewarded at The Dot Property Thailan...